Reading 03

 After taking time to think about it, I've decided to look at how the representation of the LGBT community and other minority groups in video games has changed. While I will be looking at minority groups as a whole, my main focus will be the LGBT community, the reason is that I find them very interesting and the fact that I've seen straight couples so many times, that they are now boring me.

I've read on how in reality, the gaming industry still has a long ways to go in terms of LGBT representation. I read that there are homophobic players who don't want any LGBT themes. However that could be counteracted by saying there used to be sexist players who didn't want women as playable characters and look where we are now.

On a serious note, a lot of AAA developers, from what I read, are very intimated on having more prominent LGBT themes because they are afraid of losing the market on their homophobic players, but to that I say screw them, and a lot of straight players are also interested in seeing more LGBT themes. This could be because they wouldn't be in a situation like that themselves and are interested to see how things would play out.

Because of this, majority of video games with LGBT themes are indie games as they don't have to worry about selling millions for pay for themselves unlike AAA games. I read that some people in the gaming industry predict that indie games will help make LGBT themes a norm in the gaming industry, just like how women being player characters are a norm now.

Another big problem is countries's resentment to allow LGBT content to be shown to their citizens. This could be another reason why AAA developers don't include LGBT themes in their games as it could lose them out on an entire country worth of sales. While these countries do resist LGBT themed games, there are a couple examples where the gamers won out. A big example I read about was surrounded an expansion pack for the Sims 4. EA had chosen not to release its latest expansion for the Sims 4 in Russia as the trailer featured an LGBT story. This was met by backlash from the fans and eventually EA decided to release it anyway. They also made a statement about the importance for them to stand up against homophobia. The Sims 4 has it hard enough as it is in Russia, as in Europe the game is rated 12, but in Russia the game is rated 18 purely because players have the choice of perusing same-sex relationships.

Another challenge I read about was a recent statement from China, where they plan on banning all media, including video games that don't have 'correct values'. This is just ridiculous in of itself, but reading further I saw that they are instructing the promotion of 'excellent Chinese traditional culture.' After reading that I have only one thing to say to China. Get over yourself.


After all this reading, I'm sure I'll have lots to write about the representation of minorities in video games and what challenges they face. Anyway, I'll continue my research and keep the look out for more outlandish and ridiculous blockades like the one in China. See you later


Bye 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Game Design

Reading 07