Favourite Game

 I am a big gamer. Although it is difficult to chose which game is my favourite as I like so many.

I will discuss different games I've played in the past and what I think of them.The Dark Pictures Anthology logo.png

The Dark Pictures Anthology is a game series developed by Supermassive Games and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment that I've enjoyed, although I've personally only played the second entry 'Little Hope'. I've enjoyed the three instalments so far and I'm looking forward to the next instalment 'The Devil in Me'.

The Anthology games are all horror survival games. While they each have their own story and characters independent from each other, they are all in the same universe connected by the mysterious character called 'The Curator'. Each game shares the same mechanics with minor difference as the developers refine and improve their mechanics. The thing I find the most interesting is that each of the five playable characters can live or die based on player decisions. I personally prefer to watch play-throughs were all the characters survive. Each game is very decision based and it uses a mechanic called the Moral Compass which blurs the line between good and bad decisions where it all comes down to if the player choses to be rational or emotional.

One thing to mention in each game is that they each have a 'Celebrity Guest' as one of the main characters. In the first game 'Man of Madan' the Celebrity guest was Shawn Ashmore who played Conrad. The second game 'Little Hope' featured Will Poulter as Andrew and the third game 'House of Ashes figured Ashley Tisdale as Rachel. The fourth game 'The Devil in Me' has confirmed that Jessie Buckley will star in it, but we don't know who her character will be at this point in time.

Overall I really enjoy the Dark Pictures Anthology and I'm looking forward to their future instalments. As it is an Anthology there will be eight games in it.



Mario Series Logo.svg

Super Mario is pretty self-explanatory. I try to play every new game that comes out. My first Super Mario game was Super Mario 64 DS. While most people prefer the original because that was the one they grew up with, I grew up with Super Mario 64 DS, so I prefer that one, plus you are not limited to playing as Mario in the DS version.





Super Smash Bros 2018 logo.svg


Super Smash Bros is a series that sparked my love for media that included crossovers of other universes. Although I'm not a big fan of fighting games, I really like Smash Bros. Especially the latest instalment, Super Smash Bros Ultimate. My first Smash game was Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii. While most people think Super Smash Bros Melee for the Gamecube is the best game. I disagree, I prefer Brawl as it had a really great story mode and Ultimate because of its giant roster of characters, though the story mode isn't as in depth as Brawl's.




Disney Infinity logo.jpg


Disney Infinity is another crossover series that I believe I grew to like because of Smash Bros. It's an open world sandbox toys to life game that features characters from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars. While I wish there was a more in-depth story to Disney Infinity that featured all the playable characters. I did enjoy it and I loved collecting all the figures. It was unfortunate that Disney pulled the plug on it and I secretly hope that it will be revived and use some of Disney and Pixar's more modern characters.







Lego Dimensions is one of the last crossover games I played. I discovered Lego Dimensions when I was looking at Portal and Portal 2 videos and I saw that Portal was going to be included. I looked into it more and discovered that Scooby Doo and the Simpsons were also going to be included as well as other big franchises that I knew. It did have a good story featuring the different characters from the different franchises interacting, I just wished they did more when they added more franchise in Year 2. Like Disney Infinity, the plug was pulled on Lego Dimensions, which was really disappointing, especially if you think about the franchises that were going to added in Year 3. The reason was that Toys to Life Games were not selling as well, with needing to collect the different figures to play as the different characters. I wonder if Lego will ever make Lego sets inspired from Lego Dimensions.


Five Nights at Freddy's. Unlike the previous games and game series, this is an indie game series. I remember when I first heard of Five Nights at Freddy's and looking in to it. I was about 13 at the time, but even so it scared me enough to be afraid to go sleep the first night I looked into it. I remember one image in particular of a character that I saw that scared me. Though years later, I learned that that character wasn't even from Five Nights at Freddy's. He was Robbie the Rabbit from Silent Hill. While I'm not really good at horror games because I get scared fairly easy. I do enjoy Five Nights at Freddy's and it doesn't scare me as much now that I know the characters.






Resident Evil. While it may be a more mature game, I remember it from my childhood. Resident Evil 4 in particular. I've looked so much into the lore of the series and I really like it. Some people say that each game in the Resident Evil Series are masterpieces in their own right. While I'm not the biggest fan of shooter or violence, I will always like Resident Evil games. Though the later title, Resident Evil 7:Biohazard figured a never before seen protagonist and first-person gameplay, I was weirded out by it. It made it better when a familiar character returned at the end, I just wished they didn't make it so drastically different all at once with a new protagonist with no returning characters for majority of it and different gameplay.








The second to last game I'll talk about it Minecraft. I can't have a favourite game list without Minecraft. Minecraft was introduced to me by my older cousin and it has practically changed my life. My Last name on the Internet 'Creeper' comes from the fact that my name also begins with a C and because it became a joke that I attracted creepers like a magnet. I plan to make Minecraft Gameplay videos and see where I go from there as some Minecraft Content Creators have millions of subscribers. While I'm not expecting to be the same. I at least hope that I'll be able to make a small bit of money if I make enough content and then even branch out from Minecraft as the mistake I saw a lot of old Minecraft Content Creators make is burning themselves out from Minecraft. I'm determined to not let the same thing happen to me.



Dark Deception: Monsters & Mortals will be the last game I talk about. Like Smash Bros, Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions, Monsters & Mortals is a crossover game that features every character from the original Dark Deception game and other characters from horror games, mainly indie. It also features Youtubers as playable characters too as well as the three main developers of the game. I liked the original Dark Deception and found the story interesting. So this game was a pleasant surprise when I heard of it. It is like Smash Bros, where it is a competitive game, but it is more of a Maze runner than a fighter game. It was developed by an Indie company called Glowstick Entertainment and I personally really like their games. Even though they are an Indie team, they managed to get Silent Hill for Monsters & Mortals, which will hopefully let them get more AAA horror franchises in the future for it. 



Overall I'm a big gamer, I try to keep my genres broad and interesting, but there are certain games that I just don't like, for example, for personal reasons, I really hate the Grand Theft Auto Series, now hate is a strong word and I don't like using it, but for what happened in my past 'hate' is the only word I can use to describe it. Though I understand its success and try to keep my hatred to myself. There are other games I'd like to talk about like the games I played developed by Valve or games such as Slime Rancher and The Long Dark. But that would have to be another time.


Thanks for reading and I'll see you around


-Chris


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Game Design

Reading 07